The village of Byfield is situated in the northern edge of the Cotswolds, in the southwestern corner of Northamptonshire, some four miles east of the intersection with the boundaries of Oxfordshire and Warwickshire.
Byfield also lies almost equidistant between Daventry to the north and Banbury to the south along the A361 road. Because of our geographic position, the residents of Byfield look to both Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire for many of their local services needs.
Byfield has a population of around 1,200-1,250 (1,252 in the 2001 census), 1,032 electors (2007 Electoral Register) plus children. The Parish still has a high level of agriculture, as it has some 10 or so working farms, although like all modern farming they employ very few people. The other areas of employment are the usual modern mix of commuting, self-employed and people who have locally based jobs, often part-time.
Byfield village is provided for superbly with a primary school & nursery (Good at the last Ofsted), 2 village shops, post office, petrol station, and pub. There are some 30 different clubs and organisations.
Byfield has a large recreation ground, 'The Brightwell', which has bowls, cricket, football and tennis clubs as well as a children's playground and other recreational space.
The village hall is the venue for a number of weekly events as well as one off theatres, shows, exhibitions, quiz evenings, dances, weddings, parties etc.
Byfield has had a Parish Council continuously since 1894, and this continuity has meant that the parish is actively managed for the good of its residents.
Byfield, with Westhorp, was mentioned in the Domesday Book. It has been close to many of the important events in history. During the Wars of the Roses, in 1469 the battle of Edgecote took place, only three miles from Byfield. Likewise during the English Civil War, the battles of Edgehill in 1642 and Naseby in 1645 must have had an impact on the local citizenry. In the Second World War the area around Byfield had numerous airfields and other military installations which would have had a considerable, and in some cases, long-lasting effect.
Byfield once had a station on the Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway (later part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway), but this closed in April 1952.